My Story

Sunday, January 09, 2011

Simony

I have always believed the Gospel is to be offered freely without charge. It bugs me when I see so-called ministries charging for their services. Up until now I did not have a word for this activity but the other day I came across the term Simony. It's an old word, but I think it's time to revive it in Christian circles. Can you imagine Jesus offering his "Sermon on the Mount" audio series for a one time gift of a hundred dollars? How about Peter charging fees to provide coaching to church planters? It would have been ridiculous then and it's ridiculous now.

Come Lord Jesus and separate the sheep from the goats.
Like wolves they feast themselves on your people and satisfy themselves with your lambs.
They speak from their own minds with boasting words and for a fee prophesy lies.
But you Lord, offered yourself freely for the sake of love.
You poured yourself out and gave all for your bride.
May we follow your example and give our all to you and you alone.

Isaiah 55:1

"Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price."

Jeremiah 23:1

“Woe to the shepherds who are destroying and scattering the sheep of my pasture!” declares the LORD.

1 comment:

ADVENTUREinPROGRESS said...

Great post Bob! I agree 100%